In September 2016, DePuy Synthes in partnership with Young Enterprise, Leeds City College and university of Leeds launched a BTE program for 50 youth (tenth graders in school year 2016/17) attending South Leeds Academy in Leeds, UK. Throughout the three-year program, the partners provided a variety of academic enrichment, career exploration, and higher education preparation opportunities, including:
- Academic support: bi-weekly support in math, English, science and information technology.
- Employability skills program and master class: Students participated in personal finance class.
- Understanding healthcare/medical terminology: DePuy Synthes supported students in tutoring related to healthcare.
- Career lectures and hospital tours: Students participated in lectures from professionals from various professions, while also touring hospitals and the medical museum.
- Introduction to higher and further education: Students gained problem solving and presentation skills, while learning about university from current students.
- Leeds Festival of Science and STEM summer school: Workshops and summer sessions that helped students strengthen STEM knowledge.