BTE Around the World
Bound Brook, New Jersey, USA (3)
Grant Period: 2016 – 2020
Welcome to our Community
In September 2017, Janssen, Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson with Raritan Valley Community College (RVCC) and Bound Brook High School (BBHS) launched a Bridge to Employment (BTE) program in Bound Brook, NJ.
The three-year program targeted 40 sophomore high school students (in school year 2017-2018) to ensure that upon graduation they are college and career ready. Key program activities included:
- Dual Enrollment—a new, one-credit, College Success course hosted by RVCC at Bound Brook High School.
- Career Coaching—Janssen employees will coach groups of 3-4 students, introducing them to a wide variety of work options and helping them determine which fields they would like to pursue.
- Wednesday Study Halls—Weekly, during students’ study hall periods, BTE members will meet with students and lead them through special activities or tutoring.
- Site Visits—students will visit Janssen facilities, nursing schools, and other places that will introduce them to a range of medical careers and other STEM topics.
- Work Readiness Workshops—students will attend sessions involving team building, project development, motivation, finance, marketing, and use of social media, along with creating and presenting team and individual projects.
By the end of the program (June 2020), BTE partners achieved the following outcomes:
- 90% of BTE students improved their school attendance.
- 100% of BTE students graduated will with their 4-year cohort.
- 90% of BTE graduates plan to attend a four year institution of higher education
- 100% of BTE graduates completed a dual enrollment course and attained college-credits.
- 100% of BTE graduates demonstrated social responsibility by volunteering and performing community service in their community.
- 70% of BTE students completed the three-year program.