BTE Around the World
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA
Grant Period: 2015 – 2019
Welcome to our Community
In September 2016, Johnson & Johnson – Diabetes Solutions Companies and Montgomery County Community College, and Phoenixville Area High School launched a BTE program for 50 youth (tenth graders in school year 2016/17) in Wayne, PA. Throughout the three-year program, the partners provided a variety of academic enrichment, career exploration, and higher education preparation opportunities, including:
- Career coaching
- Parent/ stakeholder engagement through kickoff event, showcase, and end-of-year events.
- Guidance counselor meetings three times a year.
- Career coaching supported by a career inventory.
- Career coaching/hands-on lab/ career exploration and preparation: through a value stream activity, research + development:STEM lab at J&J followed by Career Coaching / soft skill development.
- College preparation workshops and college visits.
By the end of the program (June 2019), BTE partners achieved the following outcomes:
- 100% of BTE graduates raised their GPA 10% from baseline data
- 90% of BTE graduates completed an AP and/or dual enrollment course
- 90% of BTE graduates were accepted into an institution of higher education
- 74% of the BTE graduates plan to attend a four year institution of higher education
- 58% of BTE graduates plan to work in health care sector after college (up from 45%)
- 80% of graduates understand the requirements to be successful in health care careers.
- 100% of BTE graduates have a professional network.
- 100% of BTE graduates were college and/or career ready.
- 100% of BTE graduates demonstrated social responsibility