BTE Around the World
Nigua, Dominican Republic
Grant Period: 2019-2023
Welcome to our Community
In August 2020, Johnson & Johnson in partnership with Sur Futuro and Centro Educativo Juan Emilio Bosch Gaviño launched a Bridge to Employment (BTE) program in Bajos de Haina, Dominican Republic.
Targeting 50 Year 4 students enrolled at Centro Educativo Juan Emilio Bosch Gaviño in school year 2020-2021, the three-year program will provide a variety of academic enrichment, career exploration, higher education preparation, community engagement, and leadership opportunities in order to increase in the number of young people completing higher education and pursuing STEM careers. Specific program activities and support will be implemented throughout each program year to ensure students meet the designed yearly short-term outcomes. Key activities will include:
- Academic Enrichment
- Academic Challenge
- Teacher Professional Development
- Higher Education Awareness & Preparation
- University / Training Center Tours
- Peer Mentors
- University Workshops
- Application Support
- Scholarship Awareness/ Application Support
- Career Exploration & Readiness
- Career Assessment
- Company Tours
- Technical Courses
- LifeSkills Workshops
- Guest Speakers
- Career Coaching
- Community Engagement & Leadership
- Student Leadership & Creativity Camp
- ABTS Student Ambassadors
- Global Youth Leadership Council
- Parent Workshops & Home Visits
- Celebration Events
By the end of the program (June 2023), BTE partners expect the following outcomes:
- 80% of BTE graduates score at least 80 in mathematics and science.
- 60% of BTE graduates receive a technical certificate.
- 80% of BTE graduates are accepted in higher education.
- 50% of BTE graduates who are accepted into higher education choose a STEM2D degree.
- 60% of BTE graduates obtain a scholarship to attend higher education.
- 90% of BTE graduates have the life / professional skills necessary for success in higher education, work, or entrepreneurship.