BTE Around the World
Grant Period: 2018-2022
Welcome to our Community
In September 2019, Johnson & Johnson Vision Care with Junior Achievement Ireland, Ardscoil Mhuire (St. Mary’s), Thomond Community College, University of Limerick, and Limerick Institute of Technology launched a Bridge to Employment (BTE) program in Limerick, Ireland. Targeting 50 students enrolled at Ardscoil or Thomond Community College and enrolled in a transition year (TY or Year 4) in school year 2019-2020, the three-year program will provide a variety of academic enrichment, career exploration, and higher education preparation opportunities in order to increase in the number of young people completing higher education and pursuing STEM careers. Specific program activities and support will be implemented throughout each program year to ensure students meet the designed yearly short-term outcomes. Key activities include:
- Tutorials. BTE partners will meet with students during their study halls and lead them through academic enrichment session and/or tutoring.
- Workshops. Students will attend sessions targeting key college and career readiness skills, such as communication, public speaking / presentation, collaboration, team-building, time management, health and well being.
- Career Coaching. Students will participate in coaching session with Johnson & Johnson Volunteers.
- Guest Speakers. Motivational guest speakers will provide students with information about various health- and STEM-related career paths.
- Peer Mentoring. Mentors from the local college/university will serve as a source of academic and career support.
- Tours/Site Visits. Students will visit Johnson & Johnson facilities and other local companies to improve awareness of STEM careers.
- Shadow Day. Students will shadow at Johnson & Johnson or another healthcare industry.
- Work Placements. Students will experience a one-week work placement at Johnson & Johnson Vision Care.
- CAO Support. CAO sessions will be available for students and parents.
- Tasters/Open Days. Tailored visits to University of Limerick and Limerick Institute of Technology.
- Global Learning. Students will have access to Global Connects and observe live surgery.
- Youth Leadership. Students will have the opportunity to participate in leadership positions, such as applying to be a BTE Student Ambassador.
- Parent Sessions. Parents will attend the launch event and CAO guidance sessions.
By June 2022, the BTE-Limerick, Ireland program anticipates achieving the following End-of-Grant outcomes:
- 75% of BTE students complete the three-year program.
- 80% of BTE graduates maintain a 85% attendance rate.
- 85% of BTE graduates obtain a Leaving Certificate or a Leaving Certificate Applied.
- 80% of BTE graduates are accepted to a 3rd level of their choice.
- 15% of BTE graduates are eligible for Level 8.
- 25% of BTE graduates are pursuing 3rd level or apprenticeship opportunities that will lead to a STEM2D career.
- 100% of BTE graduates have an understanding of the variety of STEM2d careers available and how to pursue the careers.