Grant Period: 2004–2007
Impressive Results. Lasting Community Impact.
The key to BTE-Wilmington’s success was simple: set clear goals, create student activities that help students reach those goals, and measure results. Achieving lofty goals is not as simple:
- Reduce Student Learning Barriers;
- Improve Teacher-Student Interactions;
- Develop Teacher-Support Service Relationships; and
- Facilitate Parent-Family Engagement.
BTE-Wilmington created program elements that operated year-round with academic and social support for students before, during and after school, and during the summer months.
So what are the impressive results?
- BTE students had nearly 20 fewer absent days than a comparison group of students.
- BTE students had higher standardized test scores in reading, math, general sciences and concepts and process than a comparison group.
Due to the program’s success, Noramco provided additional funding to extended the program and expand its reach after Johnson & Johnson’s initial investment.