BTE Around the World
J&J Local Partner
Advanced Sterilization Products
Center for Educational Partnerships at the University of California, Irvine – Coordinating Entity
Santa Ana High School
Santa Ana College
Santa Ana, California USA
Grant Period: 2015 – 2019
Welcome to our Community
In fall 2016, BTE-Santa Ana launched with 50 students. During the three-year program students participated in a number of activities, including:
- Academic tutoring: Undergraduate students provided Saturday and after school structured tutoring sessions.
- Study groups: Saturday sessions also included small group study organized by subject area.
- Academic advising: Supported students in developing individual academic plans and updated monthly, complemented by personal interest inventories.
- Higher education workshops: Sessions taught students about academic requirements, choosing a major, and skills needed to be successful in college.
- Symposia series and field trips, tours and demonstrations: Students learned about college and careers through demonstrations from CSS employees, as well as college tours.
- Employability workshops and mentoring and career coaching: Students learned about career skills such as communication, responsibility and stress management, as well as one-on-one and group coaching from CSS employees and UCI undergraduates.
An independent evaluation of the BTE-Santa Ana, California program found several positive outcomes:
- 100% of BTE students graduated from high school and were admitted to higher education.
- BTE students performed better than comparison students over time for GPA and for math grades.
- A significantly higher percentage of BTE graduates than comparison students (100.0% vs. 40.0%) reported acceptance to higher education.
- 77% of BTE graduates (vs. 33.3% of comparison students) reported interest pursuing a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, Manufacturing, or Technology (STEM2D) or health-related discipline.
- 100% of BTE graduates reported that BTE was very important to their school success.
- 100% of BTE students agreed that BTE had prepared them to achieve their career goals.
- 54% of BTE students (30:56) completed the three-year program.
- 90 Johnson & Johnson Volunteers spent over 3,700 hours working with BTE youth over the course of the three-year program.
Program Model: Santa Ana, CA