BTE Around the World
Leeds, United Kingdom
Grant Period: 2015 – 2019
Welcome to our Community
In September 2016, DePuy Synthes in partnership with Young Enterprise, Leeds City College and university of Leeds launched a BTE program for 50 youth (tenth graders in school year 2016/17) attending South Leeds Academy in Leeds, UK. Throughout the three-year program, the partners provided a variety of academic enrichment, career exploration, and higher education preparation opportunities, including:
- Academic support: bi-weekly support in math, English, science and information technology.
- Employability skills program and master class: Students participated in personal finance class.
- Understanding healthcare/medical terminology: DePuy Synthes supported students in tutoring related to healthcare.
- Career lectures and hospital tours: Students participated in lectures from professionals from various professions, while also touring hospitals and the medical museum.
- Introduction to higher and further education: Students gained problem solving and presentation skills, while learning about university from current students.
- Leeds Festival of Science and STEM summer school: Workshops and summer sessions that helped students strengthen STEM knowledge.
By the end of the program (June 2019), BTE partners expected the following outcomes:
- 50% of BTE graduates improved at least one grade.
- 40% of BTE graduates will pursue further education, applying to three or more FE/HE institutions.
- 80% of BTE graduates accepted to higher education.
- 50% of BTE graduates enter STEM related fields
- 100% of BTE graduates demonstrate give core values and their attributes.
- 100% of BTE graduates demonstrate key employability skills/ core competencies at a professional level.